Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
N600,000 – N800,000 (negotiable)
Number of posts
Provides medical and surgical care to women and has particular expertise in pregnancy, childbirth, and disorders of the reproductive system.
Appropriate competencies and skills in general Obstetrics and Gynaecology
A research interest in area of expertise
Management and Administrative Experience
Evidence of leadership and management
Experience of risk management programmes
Knowledge of research, methodology and ability to interpret published research
Abstracts or publication of journals
Knowledge & evidence of participation in clinical audit
Highly committed to team work
Formal training in communication skills
- Provide patient focused Obstetrics and Gynaecology services and ensure optimal care of patients.
- Records and reports test results and examination of information to diagnose medical condition of patient.
- To provide antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care in the obstetric service in close co-operation with other specialties.
- Collect, record, and maintain patient information, such as medical histories, reports, and examination results.
- Explain procedures and discuss test results or prescribed treatments with patients.
- Monitor patients’ condition and progress and re-evaluate treatments as necessary.
- Perform caesarean sections or other surgical procedures as needed to preserve patients’ health and deliver babies safely.
- Prescribe or administer therapy, medication and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- To establish and run a one-stop out-patient hysteroscopy clinic as well as other minimal access surgeries at the Ikeja branch.
- To ensure that good liaison exists between the out-patient hysteroscopy clinic and primary care, the general gynaecology service, and the gynaecological oncology service.
- To facilitate & participate in weekly departmental meetings and meetings related to the ongoing review and evaluation of the obstetrics and gynaecology service.
- Refer patients to medical specialist or other practitioner when necessary.
- Treat diseases of female organs.
- Conduct research to develop or test medications, treatments, or procedures to prevent or control disease or injury.
- Consult with, or provide consulting services to other physicians.
- Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, medical officers, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
- Plan, implement, or administer health programs in the hospital for prevention and treatment of injuries or illnesses.
- Participate in continuing professional development at local and international level.
- Participate in clinical recruitment exercises for the hospital.
- To participate in Clinical observership and trainings, also to adopt the role of clinical supervisor to medical officers.
Condition of Service
- Must meet the essential person specification
- Provision of satisfactory references
- The appointee is expected to undergo annual appraisal within the hospital’s framework and attain appropriate and sufficient continual professional development to meet required recommendation
- Active Listening
- Critical Thinking
- Sound Judgment and Decision Making
- Time Management
- Learning Strategies
- Active Learning
- Quality Control Analysis
- Good Writing skills
- Problem Solving
- Management of Personnel Resources
This position is responsible for the direct supervision of all employees in your area of speciality and Medical Officers under the supervision of the Medical Director.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
On-call duties inclusive which will be 1 in 3 (with two other consultants)
Required to work in multiple branches in Lagos owned by the hospital.
Additional Eligibility Requirement
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Independent and strong Entrepreneurial attitude, confident, Global thinker, Self-starter, Good analytical skills.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Paid public holiday/annual leave authorised by management
Successful candidate will be expected to have a medical check done by the hospital.
Recruitment for this position will be in two stages:
- An initial sift to create a shortlist
- Face-to-face interview
Feedback will only be provided if you are successful in the interview
External recruitment only
Working for SSWCH
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
SSWCH embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
Interviews will be held at SSWCH between mid-April and end of April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should forward their word doc CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title as the subject of the mail.